- Was there a New Gold Dream Part 2? "It wasn't good enough to create "New Gold Dream II", much as many of their new-found
supporters might have wished for it. Several excellent new tracks were junked or comprehensively rewritten as the group felt their way with
instinctive certainly towards the fierce uncluttered dynamics of "Sparkle In The Rain" - Adam Sweeting.
- The one sided acetates were cut before the album was named; but by the time
the one sided test pressings were pressed on the 2nd December 1983, the album was called
Sparkle In The Rain.
- In February 1984, Sparkle In The Rain was the first
Simple Minds' album to be released simultaneously on vinyl, cassette and CD. The vinyl
copies included a glossy inner sleeve with heavily stylized graphics, whilst the CD booklet featured exclusive pictures of the band and some
of the lyrics of Book Of Brilliant Things.
- A limited edition white vinyl pressing was also available, although the only difference (apart from
the colour of the vinyl) was a sticker on the sleeve.
- No other collectable versions of the album appeared, except in Canada, where a limited edition run were pressed in
transparent vinyl. This has become the most collectable of the various commercial releases of the album.
- Promotional issues were also lacking, with one exception. Whilst the gold stamped promo from the US
was worth looking out for,
Virgin Canada issued a promotional Sparkle In The Rain notepad with the album's shield graphic on every
- One of the rarest, and oddest, of the special pressings, was the test pressing from Virgin New Zealand.
This one-sided test pressing features the A-side of the album, and on the blank vinyl on the flip, the record company staff
have etched "Merry Xmas Love Virgin NZ" and signed their names.