being boiled by phunk investigation and vinjay featuring jim kerr: information
- Being Boiled, the early industrial classic from The Human League,
was a bonus track recorded by Simple Minds for the Neon Lights covers
album in 2001.
- In late 2019, a new remix of the song appeared from Phunk Investigation, two Scilian DJs who'd previously
remixed many Simple Minds tracks in the early 2000s.
- It sounded like they'd only used Jim's original vocals, replacing the rest of
the song with a new underpinning beat and melody. In doing so, they removed the defining characteristics of the original.
- The first MP3s appeared in October 2019 and included the Original Mix, the Original Hook Mix and the
Hinca Mix. These were uploaded to Soundcloud under Phunk Investigations's account.
- The option to further promote and distribute was taken by BluFin Records the following February. This release
took the original three Phunk Investigation remixes and added a new remix by Francesco Ferraro.
"BluFin Records welcome Phunk Investigation & Vinjay featuring the legendary vocalist of
Simple Minds - Jim Kerr, for their latest bold offering
in the form of Being Boiled. The big original comes with remixes
from Hinca and Francesco Ferraro."
"In original form this is a big and and colourful wedge of sparkly disco with loose and jangling
drums and colourful melodies. Smeared synths add colour and the vocals are delivered in deadpan style up top.
After a catchy Original Hook mix, there is a darker and harder hitting Hinca Remix that is for late
night hours, and finally Francesco Ferrar goes for a dubbed out and low slung house remix that is all
about getting you in the groove."
- A single, chilled out remix followed in April. This Red Joint Remix appeared in Phunk Investigation's
Soundcloud stream but was not digitally packaged with any other releases.
- The final activity took place in June when Phunk Investigation and BluFin Records both released digital
EPs of a further three remixes: the Lutzenhouse Ibiza Super Dub, Chris Maico Schmidt Remix and
- The Spotify releases followed the same pattern as the two main remix EPs and the lone Red Join remix. Oddly
some of the remix names were slightly different and some have been used here as they're more descriptive e.g.
Original Peter Hook Mix instead of Original Hook Mix. Also, the Red Joint remix released on Spotify was
a longer, exclusive version.
- No physical formats have surfaced.