- The second Lostboy! album, The Return Of The Lostboy! was first mentioned by
Jim during the post-production work on Lostboy!
in February 2010. After a particularly fertile writting sesson with Paul Statham,
Jim mentioned co-writing two tracks called
Song X and A Revolver!.
- Upon completion of Lostboy! late in February, Jim
made tenative plans to start recording The Return Of The Lostboy! initially in October 2010, before tendering
for new song ideas from his songwriting team for June 2010.
- By the end of February, the plans had solidified: a more extensive Lostboy! tour was pencilled in
for the last half of 2010, with The Return Of The Lostboy! being recorded in the winter for a spring 2011
release, followed by a six month tour, and then work would start in earnest on Simple Minds' next
- The volcanic eruption of April temporarily stranded Jim in mainland
Europe. With the promotion of the first album on hold, Jim worked on new
songs, including Sleepless Nights, a song written by
Dante and Jools Gizzi (formerly from GUN).
- Even during the rehearsals for the promotional tour,
Jim was mentioning new song titles including
Girl Frozen In Time and
Broken Glass Park. And as soon as the tour was completed,
Jim was in a studio near Oxford Street demoing
Sense Of Discovery.
- And as Simple Minds' Festival Tour started,
Jim was working on new Lostboy! AKA material mentioning a song called
Gods Are Everywhere.
- "Although the debut album has only been released one month ago,
the recordings for the second album from Lostboy! AKA are set to take place over
the next few months. Demos for the new songs are already coming together and studio
time is now booked for late summer prior to the end of year tour." - Jim, 23rd June 2010
- "A break from touring Simple Minds meant that I could engage in writing for Lostboy! AKA
over these last few days. Jez Coad supplied three new pieces of music that I now have written lyrics to:
Kid Is A Timebomb,
Love Is A Four Letter Word and
Animal Life." - Jim, 3rd July 2010
- Bassist Ged Grimes also contributed some ideas, one of which became
- "Equinox today - summer is over. Means that from today I turn pretty much back to Lostboy! for the next
couple of months or so, including live dates, new song writing, and the the start of recording the Lostboy! AKA second album.
Listening right now to a new Lostboy! song written with Jez Coad
[called] Vicious White Kids and it's a beauty!" - Jim, 23rd September 2010
- "Looking forward to working with Jez Coad on Monday. Will be putting vocals on on five
new Lostboy! AKA songs including
Vicious White Kids,
Sin So Sweet and
Kid Is A Timebomb" - Jim, 26th September 2010
- By September, it had become clear that Broken Glass Park had switched allegiance and
was now a Simple Minds track. Jim was now working on Simple Minds by
day and tracks for the second Lostboy! AKA album by night.
- "Will spend next couple of days working in Glasgow with musician/writer Iain Cook. Iain
will join the writing team along Jez Coad,
Stephen Reid - all have so far contributed melodies to the Lostboy! AKA project! Particularly
looking forward to working more on a new song that comes from Iain. Titled Jerusalem
it is a magical piece!" - Jim, 3rd October
- "Last day Glasgow and plenty of sunshine throughout. The changing colours of the leaves include everything from green
to gold, purple, reds and burgundy has made the walks through Linn Park spectacular. Highlights however have been the new
songs that have come together since being here. Yesterday I demoed Champagne Moon and
Everybody V Mother Nature. I expect to demo another two brand new
songs this evening!" - Jim, 6th October
- The first track to be officially released was Simon Hayward's Electro remix of the demo
Kill Or Cure? which was given away through the official site on the
- "Two more demoed and how prolific it's all been. First time I worked with Iain Cook, delighted with results.
A serious talent and a real pleasure to work with him. More to come for sure. The two songs demoed tonight were
Honest Town and Jerusalem - both gave of
that "hairs standing on the back of the neck" sensation... with the latter having a strong
Sons And Fascination vibe. Honest Town
simply made my eyes go misty!" - Jim, 7th October
- "I had hoped to be getting on with new material prior to beginning rehearsals etc. for
the Lostboy! AKA Electroset tour. Things have gone so much better than expected
however. Ten songs demoed and another two written on top of that. Twelve new songs in twelve days is some sort of record for me.
Credit to those supplying me with the inspirational music. Lostboy! AKA 2 is shaping up to be a cracker!" - Jim, 10th October
- "4 Letter Word is the title of the new song I am currently working on. Music is by
Armando "Dino" Maggiorana and we worked together previously on the
Cry album. Dino co-wrote the
title track, plus New Sunshine Morning - the
latter is a particular favourite of mine. 4 Letter Word is shaping up rather special, could be on to
something great!" Jim, 27th October
- "Working on a new song called Lucifer... it's a devilish little thing!" - Jim, 10th March 2011
- By September during a lull between tours, Jim wrote about working with Andy Gillespie on the latest batch of ideas;
and mentioned another song called Made From Rock And Rain.
- Work on the follow-up album was postponed when Jim's mother became ill. When
work resumed, it was for Simple Minds with new recording and touring committments.
Broken Glass Park and Blood Diamonds were
recorded as Simple Minds' tracks and released on Celebrate: The Greatest Hits+ whilst
Honest Town and
Spirited Away were recorded for Big Music.
- This left Animal Life,
Everybody Vs Mother Nature,
Gods Are Everywhere,
Girl Frozen In Time,
Kid Is A Timebomb,
Love Is A Four Letter Word,
Lay Lady Lay (cover),
Made From Rock And Rain,
Sense Of Discovery,
Sin So Sweet,
The Night (cover),
Vicious White Kids,
Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? (cover).